There are a million guacamole recipes out there, and mine has evolved over time. The one constant is that I only use haas avocados, because they are much more flavorful. Florida avocados work just fine in a lot of recipes, but I think they just taste watery in guacamole.
Last week, the Big Kahuna whipped up a batch of this on a night when I just didn't feel like cooking. Unfortunately, I didn't get pictures during the process.
This recipe makes a party-sized bowl of guacamole.
5 haas avocados
3 plum tomatoes
Juice of 1 lemon
salt to taste
- Dice the tomatoes and onion into the smallest pieces possible, and place in a large bowl
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits and skins. Coarsely chop the avocado and add it to the bowl.
- With a fork, begin to mash the avocado, and mix it with the tomato and onion.
- Add the lemon juice and salt, and continue to mash with a fork until the guacamole reaches the desired consistency, tasting and adjusting the seasonings as you go.
- That's it! You can also add cilantro or jalapeño peppers if you want an added kick.
I don't know much about wine, and usually buy whichever bottle looks most fun. This one caught my eye and I couldn't resist.