I had a couple of thoughts for the garlic scapes - either pesto, or a garlicky bean dip - so I ended up incorporating both ideas, and more CSA vegetables, into a new recipe. It's ridiculously easy to make, and only takes about ten minutes. The Big Kahuna and I ate this alone as a light supper, but it would also make a nice side dish with something more substantial.
One note - this is VERY garlicky, so if you are not as much of a fan of garlic as we are, leave out one of the scapes, or add more cilantro.
Butterbean Salad with Cilanto-Scape Pesto and Sauteed Broccoli Greens:
2 15 oz cans of butter beans
1/2 cup cilantro
4 garlic scapes
1 tsp salt
2 cups broccoli greens, coarsely chopped
- Put the scapes, cilantro and salt in a food processor. Process for a few seconds to chop up the cilantro and scapes into small bits.
- With the processor running, pour in the olive oil a little at a time until it forms a paste.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet and add the broccoli greens. Saute until greens are wilted and tender.
- Pour the beans into a bowl, add the pesto, and toss until the beans are coated. and the pesto is
- Fold in the greens, and mix so they are well-distributed.
- That's it! Serve and enjoy.